Thursday, December 8, 2011

Dungeons & Dragons Online

So I have taken a hiatus from World of Tanks due to the many issues I've brought up over my last few blog entries, and as one of my friends and a fellow GM has been taunting me with the possibility of playing a Pathfinder game at some point after the new year.  And so I started pouring over the core rulebook and thinking about what kind of character I'd like to play.  Suffice to say I've spent many hours using the demo version of the Hero Labs Character Creator.  I love this tool.  Great utilities for character creation, very straight forward with little in the way of issues that required me to look for a solution.  Translation: it's pretty much idiot proof.

Well all this looking at 3.x edition DnD left me feeling...really jazzed to play.  As it's the Holiday Season, it's going to be hard to get any game group together for a game.  So I resorted to the old MMOs.  No, I didn't look at World of Warcraft again.  I did take a look at Dungeons & Dragons Online once again.  A long time ago, I started playing this game back in the beta.  It wasn't that great, however I stuck with it for about three years of subscription play.  And then I grew kind of bored with it.  Now it's several years later, and I made the decision to re-create an account.  I no longer have the old one, I gave it to a friend so he could play along with his kid.  If you haven't noticed, DDO is free to play just like Turbine's other title Lord of the Rings Online.  And just like LotRO, you are able to earn Turbine points through questing.  So, again you don't have to spend your hard earned cash on the TP; you'll just be gaming for a good long while to build up your TP reserves so you can create other race/class combos the free to play players don't normally have access to.

I like the new look and layout of the user interface, the character creation menus, and the introductory quests.  I like how they have refined the lay out of Stormreach (the main city) and how they have restricted access to various locations based on your character level.  Since I've only recently started playing again, I haven't yet encountered any quest/dungeon I can't access due to the face that I'm a free player, or because I haven't spent the TP to purchase access to the dungeon/quest in question.  We'll see whenever that happens one way or another.  Also, I mentioned earlier that it is Holiday time.  I'll try to keep all you loyal fans updated as I'm able, but my girlfriend and I are moving at the end of the month, so I make no promises.  If I don't get back to you in time: Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Blessed Yule, E'Yaaah E'Yeeeeh, Vote for Zoidberg, and good night.

Bonzo out.

No comments:

Post a Comment