Wednesday, February 9, 2011

DC Universe Online - Update

OK, so I did get the game.  And I have to say that I am impressed, and that it is pretty fun.  Here's just a quick overview.  I don't want to spend a lot of time on this as it's cutting into my DCU time. 

Since the game is no longer in the beta, a few things (like the voice acting) have been tightened up, and it's very well done.  Batman and The Joker (Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamil) steal the show as far as voice acting goes, but I'm sure that comes as no surprise.  The game does not handle like a 'true' MMO.  It's designed to be played on the PS3 as well as PC, so the GUI works like a console GUI.  And oddly, this does not bother me.  The only thing that bothers me is that all attacks are made with the mouse buttons (left and right) and a combination of clicks and holds determines what attack(s) you perform.  What annoys me about this, is that I have a really loud mouse.  The 'button mashing' of the mouse makes this feel like an arcade game for me. 

The character generator is just fun to play with.  Sony and DC did themselves a favor in making this game by accepting the fact that players are going to mimic their favorite (or possibly most obscure) comic superhero/villain just like players do in every other superhero MMO out there, by allowing players to generate characters themed after three main heroes and villains: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman; The Joker, Lex Luthor, and Circe. 

I like the powers, and attacks that are offered, but I have yet to try them all out yet.  I really like the settings, and this superhero MMO has cities that are huge like actual cities are.  Gotham and Metropolis are enormous.  And gorgeous to boot. 

Right now, I'm leveling a hero who is mentored by Batman; he has Martial Arts as an attack power, Gadgets for his control power, and his 'travel power' is Acrobatics (which is the best travel power in the game IMO).

More later, game now.

-Bonzo out

No comments:

Post a Comment